I'm just wondering if I could have any more going on right now. I frequently think of things to write on this blog only to have the day go streaking past me and then it is suddenly too late to be attempting to sound coherent. Not that I am very good at it in the middle of the day either, as you are about to find out!
Last week I was babysitting our friends' 3 kids while they were in Russia adopting their new daughter. As if 5 kids during the hottest part of the summer wouldn't be interesting enough, we decided to go with 8. Let's just say they watched more movies and played more PS2 and computer games than they would have if it hadn't been 118. The only other option was to take them out on outings to keep them occupied. Yeah right. 8 kids and a loopy lady on leukemia meds. Sign me up.
So, on top of that we are moving. That fills my plate all on it's own! Packing (let's just say that my skills in this area far surpass Sam's so therefore I am happily packing more of the stuff), change of address cards, calming the children's excitement about their new rooms, having the kids "help" pack. You get the idea.
And school starts next week. School supplies--the lists get longer and more specific every year!--new shoes, calming the kids excitement about their new school, having the kids go through their new stuff for the billionth time. Again, you get the idea.
And Katya is going to play the viola this year. Which means I must procure said viola. I don't remember signing up for viola procurement. There was no class on this in mommy school.
And Emily and Rachel both need braces. Yes I said both. Yippee. One would have been bad enough.
Oh, and Katya needs new glasses. I personally don't see why she just can't sit in the front and squint a little, but we have an appointment on Thursday. Why do all of our kids either have bad eyes or bad teeth--or both? We lost the lottery on that one.
Not to mention we are at the end of summer vacation. You know what that means. The B word. All 5 are horrifically bored. And I mean horrifically. This is the stuff of horror movies--scary moaning sounds included. It doesn't even matter that I am packing all of their toys and whatnot because there was nothing to play with before I packed them. Maybe we'll try to be like Laura Ingalls and each have one simple, handmade toy and be blissfully happy. Ha. That will teach them to whine.
So, that said, blog writing is at the bottom of the list. Not that I don't think about you all, but alas, I am not what you would call a great time manager. One of the side effects of my medicine is having a kind of "medicine head" much of the time. Which makes it harder to remember what it is I was doing and what I was going to do next. Much of the time I sit, pencil in hand having forgotten what I was just going to write on my to-do list so that I would remember it! Man, I sound like a mess! Laura Ingalls would have completed everything on my list and milked the cow and fed the chickens and made a new quilt.
Now before you all start getting upset at me for not asking for help...much of what needs to be done (like viola procurement) must be handled by me. Although I might take volunteers for that one. My main problem is keeping track of what needs to be done in my muddled head, so it seems like the list is longer than it probably is. And let's all remember one main point: school starts next Wednesday. My five precious darlings will be gone for much of the day and my hope is that the few brain cells I have that are in working order will be much less distracted at that point!
And we have about 60 percent of the house packed. So we are making huge progress. Even with the children's help.
So, there you have it. A long rambling post about why I don't post more often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Except for the meds, I'm right there with ya! last time we moved we packed like we were being evacuated. Six years later i still open a box with tupperware..and shoes in it. My kids teeth look like something off of HEE HAW, one that squints (only on Sunday when she can't see the pastor) and one waiting to have his circumcision redone!(ouch) The only good news is school doesn't start for another 5 weeks. I'm glad for your good health report. Been praying for you.
Karen, I'm glad to see I'm not alone! Thanks for your prayers!
Post a Comment