I was looking through a magazine yesterday and I came upon the food section. Now, something you may not know about me (or maybe you do) is that I am not exactly adventurous when it comes to food. I am known as Mrs. Vanilla (although not in the area of ice cream). So, the fact that I actually looked at the recipes instead of just skipping over the section is a surprise as it is. And how was I rewarded for this trip through the food section? With something that might tempt me to set aside my vanilla ways and try something new?? I think not. They should have just titled the section "The Nastiest Foods We Could Think Of" or "What To Do With The Veggies Almost EVERYONE Can't Stand." The first recipe--under a section they ridiculously named "Veggie Recipes You'll Love" (I don't think so.)--was for Shredded Beets with Celery & Dates. What? I'm going to LOVE that combo? I can't think of anything more repulsive. Well, actually I probably can. But that is just nasty. Why don't we just cut up some brussel sprouts and toss them in there too? And the next recipe sounded just as yummy--Red Cabbage Spaghetti with Golden Raisins. ew.
The great humor in all of this is that my husband would LOVE both of those recipes and would be thrilled if he came home and I announced we were having nastiness like that for dinner. He eats everything that I consider too weird to look at. And really enjoys it. Like on our recent trip to Montreal (which I have yet to blog about--I'll get around to it someday) when we ate in a French restaurant (I had a steak thankyouverymuch) and he had a 7 course meal that included foie gras (mushed up duck liver for those of you who happily did not know up until this moment) with apple jelly. I actually had to look away. He was practically licking the plate.
So all of this just proves that God has an incredible sense of humor (for those of you who thought that he was a stuffy old grumpy guy, you are wrong). He married up The Cheeseburger Queen(ketchup only--although I do put lettuce on them now--living crazy) with the King of Gourmet. If I go Home and Sam gets the opportunity for a second wife, I'll put in a request for a gourmet cook who likes beets and duck liver mush.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment