Just a few more days. School starts on Wednesday. I'm seriously looking forward to being in my kitchen Wednesday morning around 8:30 and hearing the wonderfully comforting sound of the refrigerator humming. I remember last year on the first day of school discovering that the refrigerator actually makes a sound and it seems that in the frenzy of noise and activity we like to call "summer vacation" I have forgotten what it sounds like.
Now a disclaimer: I love my kids. I do. Most days. It's just that they are 5 whirling dirvishes--very loud whirling dirvishes--pulling me in 5 different directions at all times. It's exhausting. And the fact that in just a few days they will have something to keep them occupied all day--I mean besides asking me their full quota of questions--is a huge thrill for me. I'm done being Julie the Summer Cruise Director. No one wants to play the games I had planned on the Lido Deck and I am clearly not cut out for planning fun-fun-fun 24/7. Julie made it look so easy back then--but she had Gopher and Isaac helping her out and she didn't have to contend with 110 degree temperatures.
So, I'm turning in my clipboard and sending them off with their backpacks and lunch boxes and hanging out in my unbelievably quiet kitchen for the day thinking entire thoughts without interruption. Except for that pesky humming sound.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment