Encouragement in Many Forms

on 8.28.2008

Tonight I went with my friend Kelly to see Nick Vujicic speak at Central Christian Church. I really needed to hear what he had to say. He was born with no arms and no legs and through God's grace he is a means of encouragement to millions. He said tonight that if he had been born with legs and arms he probably wouldn't be there speaking to us. It's his missing limbs that give him an audience. Wow. Here is one video of him from youtube:




One thing that he said tonight that stuck with me is that God is more interested in changing your heart than He is in changing your circumstances. What a great reminder. As I am struggling with some of Tommy's behaviors that are a result of his early life, I needed to be reminded of that truth. God very well may not change my circumstances, but He is most definitely at work within my heart to make me a little more like my Savior every day by showing me my dependence on Him and His grace. And that is a very good thing in the midst of difficulty. One of these days I'll fill you in on our little Tommy and all that God is doing. But not tonight. :-)

When we walked out of the church tonight it was pouring rain. Buckets and buckets! But, I had brought my big umbrella so Kelly and I huddled under it and tried to make our way to the car and stay a little dry. But my measly umbrella was no match for God's big wind and this is how it ended up:



Sad little umbrella. Didn't have a chance. Services will be Friday at 11:00. We'll miss him. He was a trusty servant to our family during his short life. In lieu of flowers please send donations to the United Umbrella Fund (UUF).

Anyhoo, Kelly and I tried to get the sad little umbrella to close and couldn't (it's injuries were too severe) so, being the great friend that I am, I took off running to the car leaving Kelly in my dust...er...splash...wake...well, whatever...we ended up completely soaked and laughed our butts off. God may not be changing my circumstances right now, but He graciously brought my friend alongside to be encouraged with me, share my hurts and laugh hysterically with me just when I needed it the most. Thanks Kell, for sharing a great night with me. And for staying with the umbrella in it's hour of need!

0 comments: