Vagabond dog

on 11.03.2006

I just put a new tag on Macy. The old one got mangled because one of the kids (who of course shall remain nameless) hooked the leash onto it and when Macy pulled on the leash, off came the tag. We hadn't really found a tag necessary in the old house because Macy was a homebody. But here in the new house she is quite busy.

A few days ago, I let my guard down. I was letting Macy out in the back yard unsupervised. I really thought that the fence jumping thing was a fluke, a one time thing, only brought on by the presence of the visiting dog who was now gone. I was wrong. You see, there was an evil cat sitting up on our fence taunting Macy. She did what any self respecting dog would do--she whined and barked and clawed up the side of the fence at the cat but to no avail. The cat just stared at her mockingly. So then, remembering her incredible jumping skills, she scaled the wall, balanced at the top momentarily and then proceeded to jump over to the other side (the opposite side of her earlier leap). Now, her goal of killing the cat was not quite achieved since she went up onto the wall next to the cat and over just as quickly. I'm sure the cat was laughing an evil cat laugh. If Macy thinks she is going to catch cats that way she will have to work on her aim as well as walking the length of the wall. So, anyway, I had to run next door and retrieve my dog from the neighbors' back yard. She was running around smelling it and having a grand time. Luckily they weren't home to hear me screaming at my dog in their back yard.

Macy has also had a few jaunts out the front door. Two people (who will remain nameless) have (accidentally) left the front door open after leaving in the morning. Macy, ever the opportunist, decided to take a walk in the neighborhood and check out the sights and smells. Just what I wanted to do first thing in the morning--chase the dog throughout the neighborhood.

So, I'm guessing the new tag will prove to be worth the cost as Macy doesn't show any signs of voluntarily giving up her vagabond ways. If she's not careful I will start looking into those electric fences. Maybe I'll get a brochure and leave it laying around where she just might happen to see it.

0 comments: