More Tommy in the New Year

on 1.09.2007

It's a new year, but Tommy is still giving us things to ponder.

During Christmas break we were driving somewhere when I heard one of the kids say something about winter. Tommy replied, "It's winter?? I thought it was December."

And tonight while I was making dinner Tommy started a conversation with me that started with the question: "How do you know when you are a parent?" (Answer #1 When you are answering questions like this.) I actually responded by asking him what a parent is. A mom or dad was his answer. Good so far.

"So, Tommy, what makes someone a mom or a dad?"

His responses:
"You have a wife?" No.
"You buy stuff?" No.
"You're big?" Nope.
"You have a lot of money?" No.
"If the governor says you're a parent?" No. (early indication of Democratic leanings?)
"If you have a house?" Nope.
"If you're big?" No.
"If you're 20?" No again.
"If you put make up on?" Nope.
"You have a car?" No.

The good news is that after much discussion about people we knew that were and weren't parents, he finally understood that having children is what makes you a mom or dad. That and the permanent twitch in your right eye.

0 comments: