For quite some time now the neighbors behind us have had sheep in their back yard. Yes, real sheep. Why? I have no idea. One day last fall I heard what sounded like a sheep as I was getting out of the car. I dismissed it thinking that it must have been a toy that just sounded like a sheep, because clearly there were no sheep in our neighborhood so why would I think I was hearing a real sheep. Right? Later that afternoon, Noah came running and announced, very loudly because he says most things very loudly, that there were two sheep in the neighbors yard. We ran upstairs and looked out the window and lo and behold: two sheep. Why? I have no idea. So, for the last few months we have been having a virtual farm experience as the little sheepies have been making their little sheepie noises for whatever reasons that sheepies make sheepie noises. And we have been theorizing why the neighbors suddenly acquired sheep in the midst of suburbia. Easter dinner? A sudden desire for gyros? A project needing a vast quantity of freshly harvested wool? Dogs and cats are so yesterday--sheep are all the rage? We don't know them otherwise I would have just asked them directly. Although I have been tempted on more than one occasion to march over and just ask because my curiosity was so piqued. But alas, I have not actually walked around the block, so it is left to my imagination. At this point I think there might only be one sheep left (which is suspicious so soon after Easter...), but I haven't even seen him/her in a few days so I'm wondering if maybe he/she is gone as well. He/she did have an "episode" a week or so ago where he/she seemed a bit perturbed and was quite vocal--which riles up the neighborhood dogs. Or maybe the neighborhood dogs rile the sheep? It's all a mystery to me. Here's a picture of the sheep so that you can have confidence that I am not just hallucinating:
So, there you have it. The sheep saga. Well, not really a saga, just a short story. Very short. But it's a mystery! So exciting. My life is just chock full of interesting little tidbits isn't it? I said, isn't it?
0 comments:
Post a Comment